When you open a patient’s eChart, you’ll notice that a new text box is automatically open where encounter notes can be added. There are a few different ways that this can be done.
1. Typing Directly Into the Encounter Notes
An encounter note can simply be typed directly into the existing text box. This is useful for short, simple notes.
💡 You can add the time that went into an encounter note by clicking on the timer in the bottom right corner of the encounter note. This will add a time stamp into your encounter note with its start time, the time when the the timer was clicked and the elapsed time between.💡
For more complex notes, using note templates is a great way to save time.
2. Using Encounter Templates to Write Notes
When writing encounter notes, you can quickly insert templates of text that you commonly use by typing @ followed by the template name in your note ex: @DM
💡 Pushing tab will bring you to the next fillable field in a template.💡
3. Creating New Templates
To create a new template click on the ‘Template’ drop-down menu in the top right of your eChart toolbar, then select ‘New/Edit Template’.
This will open the ‘Encounter Templates’ window where a search bar and the existing template library will be displayed. To create a brand new template, type the name of the template into the search bar and if it does not exist already, select ‘Create Template’ button in the bottom left corner.
In the 'Create Template' view, you can name your template and enter your preferred template text.
💡 You can also add placeholders (•), option fields ( [Option 1| Option2] ), and search and select measurements which will pre-populate when you load the template.💡
Once finished, select ‘CREATE’. After refreshing your eChart page, the template will be ready to use.
4. Editing and Using Existing Templates
There are many pre-existing templates that providers are free to use. These can be viewed by going to the ‘Template’ drop-down menu in the top-right of your eChart toolbar, then selecting ‘New/Edit Template’.
Keywords can be searched in the search bar to find relevant templates. To view and edit the existing templates click the pencil icon to the right of the template name.
After making your edits, select ‘UPDATE’. The template will now be available to use in the encounter notes by typing @ followed by the template name.
5. Drafting, Saving and Editing Encounter Notes
As you create an encounter note, it will be saved as you go as a draft. No other providers are able to see your draft until it is saved. There are the following options at the bottom right of the encounter note to choose from.
1. Save - Saves the current content of the encounter note.
2. New Note - Creates a new encounter note for this patient.
3. Sign and Save - Attaches your name to the encounter note and saves the current content.
4. Verify and Sign - Marks the current encounter note as "Verified" and attached your name to the current encounter note.
5. Sign, Save & Bill - Attaches your name to the encounter note, saves the current content, and proceeds to the Billing page. Please see our Knowledge Base articles relating to "Billing" for more information.
6. Exit - Exits the patient's eChart without saving current note progress.
7. Print Notes - Allows you to select the type and date range of encounter notes to print.
Did we miss something? Not to worry! Just email our support team at email@example.com✌️